Monday, May 30, 2011

My Enchanted Kingdom Space Shuttle Ride


Just the sight of it looked intimidating.  And the thought that I will be up there, definitely unthinkable!


I don’t know what made me decide to do it, but I know I made it through with my heart still in my rib cage, and my brains intact.  It was definitely quite a ride!


We were joined by some of our friends when me & my husband went to Enchanted Kingdom a few months back.  It was a nice weekend.  A bit cloudy, but not enough to bring in rain & dampen our spirits to have a good time.  As soon as my friends saw me, they immediately pulled me away from my husband.  And lo and behold, I was right there smack in the middle of a queue going up the Space Shuttle ride.  I knew I wasn’t really that helpless.   I knew I can just back out any minute, and simply endure their teasing for not being courageous enough to take the ride.  But what the heck, I promised myself that this is just one of my fears that I have to face.   


When our time came, my good friend Keijee took the seat beside me.  Being the “pro” rider, she instructed me to rest my head at the support behind me, so as to prevent any neck injuries.  And when she said, “Ready?”, I felt the ride moved even before I can say yes.  Slowly… oh so slowly it went up.  It went really so high I thought I can see the whole CALABARZON region up to Batanes from where I was seated.  I felt more like more like I was standing up than sitting down due to the tilt of the structure.  Then the sudden drop happened.

I felt like a leaf being blown by the wind.  I can feel that I was moving sideways from left to right, then from right to left on a whim.  How I wish that any moment it will end.  I thought it was an eternity… then it happened.  I felt we were like being pulled upwards, slowly.  Upwards… upwards?  And when I opened my eyes, I saw as if I was really going up to the clouds.  Heaven…? Then it happened, a very strong gravitational pull moved the rides to go backwards.  Here we go again…


I felt like my intestines and other internal organs were being mixed inside me.  I again felt the twists and the turns, the sideways motion, the upside-down position, name it… I think I had it all. 


Then we suddenly came to a halt.  And when I looked at my friend, I said I can feel my head spinning.  Then she excitedly asked, “Did you see everything?”  I was quiet for a second, then asked, “Am I supposed to have my eyes open during the whole ride?”


She just laughed, and I told her, “Why didn’t you tell me?”  And we just laughed together.


Yes, it was one heck of a ride.  I know this is something I will never have done a lifetime ago.  But this is my journey about conquering my fears, no matter how mundane they may appear to some.  My life was once a roller coaster ride.  The many ups & downs.  The many twists and turns.  The many mixed emotions going on while things happen around me.  All seemed to have happened beyond my control.  But they really happened because of the choices I have made. 


I could have chosen not to take the Space Shuttle ride, but still I did.


A few lifetimes ago, I did the things I do because I just allowed things to happen around me.  But now, I want to do these things because somehow, I know it will be my chance to reinforce upon myself that no matter what happens in my life’s journey, I am responsible.   And hopefully, moving forward, I will be doing things with my eyes wide open.

1 comment: